ST. JAMES R-I SCHOOL DISTRICT
SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER POSITION DESCRIPTION
Description: High School School Special Education Teacher
- Valid Missouri certificate issued by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in subject being taught
- Previous related teaching experience is desired
- The Special Education Teacher will participate in the special education team process as deemed appropriate to identify students with disabilities.
- Develop and implement Individual Education Programs (IEP) for students in the special education program in cooperation with the parents and regular education personnel.
- Maintain contact with the parents of the special education students.
- Maintain contact with the regular education teachers of special education students.
- Prepare materials and provide prescriptive instruction in order to meet the goals and objectives of the individual students as outlined in the IEPs.
- Maintain order and establish an environment conducive to learning in the classroom.
- Maintain the proper records for each student on his/her caseload as outlined by the Special Education Compliance Program Review Standards and Indicators and district format for file maintenance.
- Attend professional workshops and staff meetings as necessary.
- Supervise any paraprofessional assigned to the classroom.
- Evaluate the performance of paraprofessionals.
- Assist the building personnel (principal, counselor, and regular education teachers) with scheduling for special education students.
- Comply with federal, state, local, and Board of Education policies and regulations.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Assistant Superintendent or the building principal(s).